{at first sight}

10:12 PM


 New parents always talk about how indescribable it it the first time they see their new child. It's beautiful, moving, and so full of love. You can't know what it's like until you experience it for yourself. I feel like that when I try to describe what it feels like to love, and be loved by these children.

You can't know what it's like until you experience it for yourself. 

To know the darkness they have experienced and yet still shine.

To know the abuse they have suffered and yet still smile.

To know the loneliness they have endured and yet still love.

To know the neglect they have lived through and yet still care for others.

To know the love that has been withheld from them, and yet, they still seek it out.

They have experienced, endured and suffered more than anyone should. There is no way to explain in words what it is like for a a child who is emotionally starving. It is an infliction that can stay with them for their entire life, and can take them down many dark and depressing paths.

But there is Hope. I saw it again when, after a year, they sprinted towards me and all hugged me at once. Hugs, smiles, laughter, joy. 

You would think that after living and walking with them for 3 years, they would feel that I abandoned them. I sometimes feel that way. But, then again, it's not really about me. It's about what I showed them, taught them, and left with them. It's about trying to reflect Christ to them. The one who will never abandon, abuse, neglect, or hurt them. 

When we saw each other again, it was a beautiful, indescribable joy. And I like to think the love I left with them is still in their hearts.





You Might Also Like

0 comments