{1 year}

10:46 AM

     It seems unreal that a year has passed by. This year was like any other for us, full of ... EVERYTHING NEW!  Truly, everything we did and learned this year was something new; mostly exciting, though sometimes frustrating.
     This year's highlights:
          -learning Romanian
          -surviving our first horrific snowy winter
          -connecting with a bunch of kids who love us as much as we love them!
          -"being there" for our kids in the small. everyday ways
          -working together as hubby and wife and teaching partners
          -taking the subway- it's so fun!
          -summer camps hugging and entertaining the kiddies
          -travelling through a bit of Europe (we definitely have the travel bug!)
     Lowlights
          -ridiculously cold, snowy winter- SERIOUSLY, I WORE 3 PAIRS OF PANTS AT ONCE!!!
          -missing our friends and family- Mr. Skype, wherever you are, I thank you with all of my heart
          -grocery shopping; Oh Trader Joe's where art thou?!
          -not being able to do more for the kids
       Really, it has been a year of blessings. We have a nice apartment, internet, enough food and necessities.  We have the amazing privilege of going to work everyday and spending time with some of the most beautiful souls God ever created.  We get to love these amazing kids who love without reservation. There are no words to describe what it is like to actually see small miracles happen. A quiet kid opening up and asking questions. One of our kids sharing their story about getting dropped off at the orphanage.  A little angel face calling us mommy and daddy, just because we are THERE.  Indescribable.
     I had a conversation with one of our older kids, we call him our brother.  He is 18 and about to face the real world; job, bills, being on his own.  While we were talking he said, "I am glad I came to the orphanage.  I remember being with my dad, we were very poor and he didn't take care of us at all.  But if I had never come to the orphanage, I wouldn't know all the wonderful people I know- you guys and everyone from H2H.  So, I am glad God brought me to the orphanage because it changed my life."
     I don't know if I will ever truly understand what each of these kids go through in their life, but I am always amazed at how God cares for them even when it doesn't look like it.  That a child who has lived through things that no child should, could have the faith and understanding that God was caring for him the whole time.  What an honor it is to walk beside these precious kids that God has not forgotten.

~h


         

You Might Also Like

2 comments